10 Reasons Why Red Grapes Are Toxic To Dogs

10 Reasons Why Red Grapes Are Toxic To Dogs

In one of my previous articles on grape toxicity in dogs, I mentioned that every type of grape (seeded and seedless) is equally harmful to dogs and red grapes are no exception – in fact – the only difference in these grapes is the color. In order to keep your dog safe from the dangers of grapes, it is important that you know the risks that come with them.

In this article, I will list 10 reasons why red grapes are toxic to dogs and some preventative measures you can take to ensure their safety. With a little knowledge and care, you can keep your dog safe from the dangers of red grapes.

1. Vomiting

A dog’s digestive system isn’t well suited to handle the acids and sugars present in grapes. As a result, when they consume grapes, it can irritate their stomach and cause vomiting. Whether your dog eats a few grapes or you feed them the whole bunch, they are at risk of vomiting. In some cases, dogs that ate a few grapes might not show any signs of distress at first. However, a few hours later, you might see them vomit. The severity of the vomiting might differ from dog to dog, but any dog that has consumed a large amount of red grapes will vomit after eating them.

2. Diarrhea

Another common side-effect of eating red grapes is diarrhea. Dogs are unable to digest the fruit, which causes unstable bowel movements. Depending on your dog’s sensitivity level, the diarrhea might be mild or severe. However, even if it’s mild, it can still cause discomfort for your dog. You should also keep in mind that the more grapes your dog eats, the worse their diarrhea will be.

3. Dehydration

Vomiting and diarrhea can both lead to dehydration in your dog. The acids and sugars in red grapes can cause your dog’s digestive system to work too hard, which can reduce the amount of liquid they have in their body. If your dog doesn’t receive any liquids or water, they will be at risk of dehydration. Symptoms include dry mouth, excessive panting, and lethargy. If you think they might be dehydrated, contact a veterinarian right away and give them plenty of fluids to drink.

4. Stomach Pain

Your dog might also experience stomach pain after eating red grapes. As I mentioned earlier, your dog’s digestive system isn’t meant to handle large quantities of sugary and acidic fruits. Therefore, if your dog ate a large amount of grapes, it will likely cause stomach pain. Stomach pain can range from mild discomfort to severe pain. Make sure you monitor your dog’s behavior after they eat red grapes to see if they show any signs of discomfort.

5. Bloating

Overindulging in red grapes can cause your dog to develop bloating in the abdomen. The acidic juices in grapes can irritate your dog’s stomach, which can lead to mild bloating. Depending on your dog’s sensitivity level, they may or may not show any signs of bloating. However, if you see any signs of bloating, immediately contact a veterinarian and make sure they receive proper treatment for bloating.

6. Choking

Another serious concern is the risk of choking. Red grapes can be a choking hazard for dogs because they are large and can get stuck in your dog’s throat. In some cases, they might even block the airway. In order to prevent choking, you should always monitor your dog while they eat, especially if you know they have a history of eating more than they can swallow. This is especially important if you have a smaller breed that tends to eat quickly and can choke on grapes or other foods.

7. Intestinal Blockage

Another potentially serious consequence of eating red grapes for dogs is an intestinal blockage. Red grapes are very large, so if swallowed, they can get stuck in your dog’s intestine. If this happens, the dog will be at risk of severe pain, dehydration, and even death. Symptoms include vomiting, bloat, diarrhea, lethargy, and constipation. Make sure you speak with a veterinarian if your dog suffers from any of these symptoms after eating red grapes or other foods.

8. Lethargy And Appetite Loss

One of the more serious and potentially fatal side effects of red grapes in dogs is lethargy and lack of appetite. Red grapes and other fruits and vegetables contain compounds that might disrupt the homeostasis in your dog. This can affect their metabolic processes and cause nausea, vomiting, and lethargy. If your dog shows any signs of lethargy or loss of appetite after eating red grapes, you should contact a veterinarian immediately because this could be a sign of serious health problems such as liver or kidney failure.

9. Kidney Failure

In some cases, red grapes can cause kidney failure in dogs. Similar to lethargy and appetite loss, your dog’s kidneys might not be able to adjust to the compounds in red grapes. This can lead to a buildup of toxins in the blood and eventually kidney failure or acute renal failure. Without proper treatment, acute renal failure can lead to death within 24 hours. The toxic component responsible for this condition is yet to be identified. So, it’s best to keep grapes away from your pooch if you want to avoid the risks associated with acute renal failure.

10. Seizures and Coma

If your dog eats a large amount of red grapes, they are at risk of developing seizures or even coma. These are the most severe symptoms associated with grapes and can be fatal if not treated quickly. Seizures and coma occur when there are electrolyte imbalances in the dog’s body. Electrolytes provide energy for your dog’s muscles, so if there is an electrolyte imbalance, it can cause seizures or coma. If you notice your dog having any of these symptoms after eating red grapes, contact a veterinarian immediately because they can be life-threatening.


Red grapes are toxic to dogs, even if your dog eats very little of them. Overfeeding grapes can lead to serious health problems in dogs, so I don’t recommend that you give your dog red grapes or any other kinds of grapes at all. If your dog accidentally eats any grapes, contact the Pet Poison Helpline immediately to determine whether your dog needs treatment. The professionals on the helpline can also help you decide if it’s best to take your dog to a veterinarian or if you can treat them at home after calling your local poison control center.

Thank you for reading the article.

To explore more, check out our other articles on grapes for dogs.

Have you ever tried feeding any red grapes to your dog? What was their reaction like? If you have any experience with dogs eating grapes, please share it in the comments section below.

One thought on “10 Reasons Why Red Grapes Are Toxic To Dogs

  1. I fed a red grape to my dog, and she continued spitting it out (that was before I heard it was toxic, which I learned today).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *