10 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Feeding Grapes To Dogs

10 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Feeding Grapes To Dogs

As a dog parent, you want to feed your pup responsibly. But when it comes to choosing treats, you might not think twice about feeding your dog some grapes. And while the fruit tastes awesome when you eat it, there are some serious reasons why it’s not okay for doggies. Studies have shown that eating grapes or raisins may prove to be fatal to your pet. But why exactly can’t my dog eat grapes, you ask? There are several different reasons why you shouldn’t give grapes to dogs, especially small dogs.

In this article, I’m going to walk you through ten reasons why you should avoid feeding grapes to dogs!

1. Vomiting

Let us start with the most obvious one: Grapes can cause vomiting in dogs. Your dog’s digestive system isn’t well-suited for digesting these fruits, which is probably why they produce such a violent response. Most dogs experience this within a few hours of ingestion, but the timing can vary depending on the dog and other factors such as the number of grapes eaten.

2. Diarrhea

Just like vomiting, giving your dog any amount of grapes can result in spontaneous diarrhea. It usually happens within a day or two of ingestion, and the severity is directly related to how much your pet ate. Mild cases of diarrhea will last for a day or so and the symptoms will disappear on their own. But if your dog eats too much of these fruits, the symptoms can become more serious and last for a few days. In more severe cases, diarrhea will recur for weeks on end, even after your pet vomits (your dog might also experience bloody stools).

3. Dehydration

Diarrhea and vomiting can cause your dog to lose a lot of water, which can lead to dehydration. This is a medical emergency that can prove fatal to your pet if not treated immediately. Even mild cases of dehydration in dogs can lead to electrolyte imbalance, which can affect your dog’s heart and nervous system. If your dog is dehydrated, he will also have trouble eating on his own. You’ll have to keep him hydrated with water or electrolyte solutions.

4. Choking

The smaller your dog, the more likely he is to choke on grapes. This risk increases when you give grapes to your dog with any meal or treat. If you give him grapes with his regular meal, your dog might inadvertently swallow some during his meal, but if you put them in a separate bowl for his fruit intake, he’ll be less likely to choke when he eats them.

While smaller dogs are more prone to choking on grapes, bigger dogs are also at risk. If your dog’s esophagus is too narrow, he might accidentally swallow a grape seed while he eats. The seed will get stuck in his throat and block his airway, which can prove fatal if not treated right away.

5. Intestinal Blockage

One of the biggest risks of giving grapes to your dog is that it could lead to intestinal blockage. Dog’s intestines are much smaller than human intestines, which is why they are even more prone to intestinal blockage. If your dog eats too many grapes, he could accidentally swallow one of the seeds, which would lodge itself in his intestine. If left untreated, this could cause intestinal obstruction in your dog that may prove fatal.

6. Lethargy

If your dog eats too many grapes, he could experience lethargy. The exact cause of this effect is not known, but it might be a result of chemical changes in the dog’s body. It is also possible that your dog’s blood sugar levels drop after ingesting the fruit, which could lead to lethargy. The lethargy might be temporary or it could last for several days.

Pet owners usually report that their dogs feel sluggish when they eat grapes, so if you ever notice your dog acting lethargic when he eats grapes, there is a chance he might be experiencing this side effect. If you suspect your dog has eaten grapes, you should take him to the vet immediately to rule out any other medical issues.

7. Abdominal Pain

As I mentioned before, a dog’s digestive system isn’t well-suited to digest grapes and raisins, and the resulting discomfort can make your pet feel nauseous and sick. Your dog’s stomach might hurt for several hours or several days after eating the fruit, which is why it is best to avoid giving him any amount of grapes in the first place. If your dog does eat a moderate quantity of grapes, he may experience mild abdominal pain that will last for a few days, followed by vomiting and diarrhea.

8. Loss of Appetite

When a dog ingests grapes and raisins, his digestive system will be temporarily disturbed. This will leave him feeling nauseous and in pain, which means he would probably lose his appetite. If your dog eats too much fruit, this effect might last for several days. The pain and nausea will gradually go away, but until then, your dog might refuse to eat. This can become a problem if you want to feed him any regular meals or treats, since he won’t be able to eat or drink on his own.

9. Seizures And Coma

There have been multiple reports of dogs experiencing seizures and losing consciousness after they ate grapes. Before you panic, it’s important to remember that the incidents are rare, but they do happen. If your dog eats large quantities of grapes, he could experience convulsions that can lead to coma. These incidents are unlikely to happen if your dog only eats a moderate amount of grapes, but it is still important to make sure he doesn’t eat any grapes at all.

10. Kidney Failure

If your dog eats grapes and raisins, he could develop kidney damage. The exact cause of this side effect is not known, but it ultimately leads to acute renal failure in dogs, which can prove fatal. The damage will most likely occur in dogs who ate moderate amounts of grapes or raisins, but pets who ate small quantities of the fruit could also develop kidney damage.

If your dog ingests moderate amounts of grapes, he will probably recover in a few days with proper and quick treatment, but if he eats too much, he might die. There is no antidote for this type of poisoning, but the effects are treatable if you take your dog to the vet right away. Your pet’s best chance of recovery depends on how quickly you take him to the vet.


Any amount or type of grapes and raisins can be harmful to your dog. The best way to protect your dog against this type of poisoning is to make sure that he never eats any grapes or raisins at all. If you ever notice your dog looking a little sick after a grape or raisin-based treat, you should take him to the vet immediately. The best course of action is to simply avoid giving grapes to your dog in the first place.

Thank you for reading the article.

To explore more, check out our other articles on grapes for dogs.

Has your dog ever eaten grapes by mistake or under your supervision? What was their reaction like? If you have any experience with dogs eating grapes, please share it in the comments section below.

2 thoughts on “10 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Feeding Grapes To Dogs

  1. Hello, I have a question. Before I realized grapes were hazardous for dogs, I used to give her 4-5 grapes every now and then (not a lot) and she never got sick. Is it possible that grape poisoning will not affect my dog?

    1. The way each dog’s body reacts to grapes is different. I’ve seen some dogs become really ill, while others show no signs of illness. When it comes to grapes, my advice is the same as the article: don’t take the chance.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *