10 Reasons Why You Should Avoid Feeding Raisins To Dogs

feeding raisins to dogs

Are you dealing with a dog that is consistently trying to eat raisins? Well, you’re not alone. Feeding raisins can be a fun, tasty treat for your dog, but it is actually something that should be avoided. Raisins are a healthy snack for humans but they can be very harmful to dogs. Dogs often love the taste of a good raisin, but a single serving of this healthy snack just like grapes can draw your pup into a critical situation.

In this article, we’ll be discussing 10 reasons why you should absolutely avoid feeding raisins to dogs.

1. Vomiting

Raisins have a lot of sugar in them. In fact, a single serving of raisins can contain 10 to 20 grams of sugar. Dogs do not handle large amounts of sugar well because they lack the enzymes that help metabolize it. When your dog eats a lot of sugar such as this, he will become very ill. Large amounts of sugar in raisins will cause your dog to vomit profusely and sometimes it may last for days.

2. Diarrhea

Similar to vomiting in dogs, raisins can also cause diarrhea. This is because raisins have a lot of sugar in them and in high amounts, the sugar can cause your dog to have an upset stomach. The resulting diarrhea can be so severe that things can get very messy when your dog is experiencing it. Soon you might notice that your dog’s stool is watery and very runny. It may also be black with blood in it.

3. Dehydration

An upset stomach caused by raisins can also cause your dog to suffer from severe dehydration. This is because your dog may have been vomiting and/or having diarrhea for a very long period of time. Besides these things, another factor that can also lead to severe dehydration in a dog is a high intake of sugar. Because raisins have a lot of sugar in them, the chances of severe dehydration occurring are quite high if you feed them to your dog.

4. Lethargy

In addition to the intestinal issues and dehydration after eating large amounts of raisins, your dog may also show signs of lethargy. This is a sign that your pup is very ill and not feeling well. Lethargy in a dog is a sign that he may not be able to move or walk around as easily. Your dog’s actions will be very sluggish and it may seem as if he is going through the motions without having the energy to do so.

5. Abdominal Pain

As I mentioned before, dogs have a difficult time digesting any food with a large amount of sugar. This includes raisins. Because of this, your dog will likely experience abdominal pains that can be quite troubling. Abdominal pain is not only unpleasant but it can also be very worrying for you to see your pup go through. The abdominal pains caused by raisins are usually very severe and can last for a long period of time.

6. Loss in Appetite

Because of the gastrointestinal issues that can occur after eating raisins, your dog’s appetite is likely to be affected. While your pup is showing symptoms of belching, abdominal pain, and lethargy, what you will notice is that he will not be interested in eating like he normally would. He may also stop eating completely if he feels worse than usual. Regardless, you should take note that this is a sign that raisins are not good food for your dog because they can cause severe health complications.

7. Bloating

Bloating in dogs is a condition when the stomach becomes very swollen and filled with gas because of an upset stomach. This is extremely painful for your dog and the pain can be very excruciating. If your dog is bloating, you may notice that his stomach is very swollen and he looks like he is ready to burst. Because of the bloating, your dog will be in more pain than usual and you will notice that he is very uncomfortable. This condition usually lasts for a short while but it can also be something that lasts for a long period at times.

8. Seizure And Muscle Tremors

If your dog has ingested a large number of raisins and shows signs of severe dehydration, your dog may start having seizures and muscle tremors. While this is a rare occurrence, it can happen if your pup has ingested a large amount of raisins. Seizure and muscle tremors are not only very painful but can be very dangerous for your dog. Your dog might not even be able to move much if he is having muscle tremors. That coupled with his lethargy, your dog might be in a lot of pain.

9. Kidney Failure

Similar to grapes, the toxic component in raisins are yet to be identified. This toxin might be responsible for the kidney failure your dog may suffer from after feeding him raisins. Also known as acute renal failure, this condition mostly occurs in dogs who have eaten large amounts of raisins. The problem with kidney failure is that it can be totally unpredictable. A dog can eat a small amount of raisins and suffer from kidney failure, while another dog can eat a large amount of raisins and still not be prone to the same ailment.

10. Coma And Death

The final and most serious outcome of feeding your dog raisins is a coma. A coma is one of the most difficult conditions that you will see in your dog because it lasts for a long time and can even result in death. Although this is a rare occurrence, if you observe your dog having seizures and other severe symptoms such as lethargy, abdominal pains, and excessive vomiting after eating raisins, I would suggest that you take him to the nearest emergency veterinary hospital for care. The faster you can get your dog treated for these symptoms, the better your dog’s chances for recovery.

Conclusion

Raisins are not good for dogs because they can cause very severe health complications. While your pup is suffering from any of the above-mentioned health issues, you will notice that he is not himself. His actions will be very sluggish and his overall appetite will be affected. Although it may take a while for your dog to recover, these occurrences can always be avoided by never feeding raisins to your dog again.

If your dog is suffering from any of these severe symptoms, it is highly recommended that you take him to the nearest emergency veterinary hospital so he can receive proper care ASAP!

Thank you for reading the article.

To explore more, check out our other articles on grapes for dogs.

Has your dog ever eaten any raisins? Were they relatively fine or did they feel sick after eating it and how much did they eat? If you have any experience with dogs eating grapes, please share it in the comments section below.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.