Can Dogs Eat Grape Jelly? Dogs Can Die From Eating Grape Jelly!

Can Dogs Eat Grape Jelly?

If you’ve read our previous article on whether or not your dogs can eat grapes, we’re pretty sure you know that grapes are one of the most toxic foods your dog could ever eat and they also rank high on the list of human food items to never feed your dog. What exactly is toxic about grapes to dogs is unknown.  So, it is better to not feed any grapes and raisins to your pup without the vet’s consultation.

All types of grapes, seeded, seedless, organic, and those used for wines contain the toxin. But since grape products have low quantities of grapes in them, maybe it is safe for your dog to eat some, right? So, can dogs eat grape jelly?

No. Honestly, all products containing grapes including grape jelly are just as toxic as raw grapes. Just a few grapes can cause adverse reactions in your pooch. Some major health issues that grape toxicity can cause in your pup include diarrhea, vomiting, appetite loss, lethargy, dehydration, kidney failure, and even death. Grape jelly contains grapes in small amounts, but just that little number of grapes may prove fatal to your dog. So, it’s better not to feed them any grape jelly or grape products at all.

Other than grapes, grape jelly contains a lot of sugar. Too much sugar is neither good for humans, nor dogs. Some health issues caused by eating too much sugar in dogs include diabetes and obesity. And since, dogs are more prone to the diseases caused by eating excess sugar compared to humans, it is better to lay low on the sugar.

Symptoms Of Grape Jelly Poisoning

Can Dogs Eat Grape Jelly? - Dog staring at grape vines from a window.

The symptoms of grape toxicity usually appear within 12 hours of ingestion. So, if any possible symptoms are seen, make a quick visit to the vet. The symptoms are quite similar to grape poisoning. Some of them include:

  • Lethargy
  • Diarrhea
  • Vomiting
  • Intestinal Upset
  • Appetite loss

“My Dog Ate Some Grape Jelly! What Should I Do?”

Your dog might have sneaked into the kitchen to take a lick of the jelly. If they had a relatively small amount compared to their body weight, you shouldn’t be alarmed. There won’t be any immediate health issues, but it is better that your dog doesn’t eat grape jelly as it can cause various health issues in the long term. But if your dog licked the grape jelly jar completely clean, then get to the vet as soon as possible.

The symptoms of grape toxicity usually appear within 12 hours of ingestion. So, if any possible symptoms are seen, make a quick visit to the vet. The doctor might try inducing vomiting in your dog, to reduce the absorption of the toxin and limit the severity of the symptoms. Just as with raw grapes, the severity determines the treatment. If the case is highly severe, your pooch might require intensive fluid treatment and other kinds of life support.

Although there aren’t many brands of grape jelly that are made with artificial ingredients, it is still better to not feed your dog any kind of food item that contains grapes. Even if there are only a few grapes present, your dog can’t handle them. It is also better not to feed any other type of jelly as it also contains sugar. If you want something sweet for your dog, go for some homemade biscuits instead.

On the note of homemade biscuit treats for dogs, check out this Homemade Dog Treats Kit on Amazon.

You will know exactly what went into them and you can use wholesome ingredients. That way, you’ll enjoy some tasty treats with your pup without food poisoning or excess sugar.

Grapes and grape-related products will make a dog very sick when they eat some. Sudden kidney failure is the most fatal symptom related to grape toxicity, and grape-related products might also induce this life-threatening symptom. Try not to feed your pup any grapes or grape products. Even if they eat some and appear healthy, discourage them from eating any more. There might not be any immediate issues, but grape toxicity is very fatal in the long term. Get immediate treatment at a vet as soon as possible if you find your dog eating grapes.

For more information on potentially harmful food products your dog should avoid eating, check out similar articles here.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.