Ice cream is a popular snack for dogs, but with chocolate, it becomes a bit of controversy with some experts conflicting opinions. Is it safe for our four-legged friends to eat chocolate ice cream? Let’s find out!
Before we get the question ‘Can dogs eat chocolate ice cream?’, let’s first talk about what makes the two different. While you might have heard that ice cream is just a frozen dessert and chocolate ice cream is a sweet treat, these are not completely true. It is important to note that while the ingredients are similar, the manufacturing process is very different. When it comes to making ice cream, small bits of fat are used along with ice while chocolate ice cream uses dry milk or cream.
Now that we’ve talked about what makes for the distinction between ice cream and chocolate ice cream, let’s get back to whether your dog can eat chocolate ice cream.
The answer to ‘Can dogs eat chocolate ice cream?’ is NO.
And Here Are 5 Reasons Why:
- Chocolate is toxic to dogs and causes vomiting and diarrhea.
- Icing contains sugar which leads to deterioration of the pancreas; if ingested in large quantities, it can raise blood glucose levels quickly. If this happens then your dog will be diabetic and need insulin treatment.
- Icing has egg whites which can thicken if left out; this makes it harder for your dog to digest, placing them at risk of getting a stomach ache or having something really bad happen like pancreatitis.
- Icing contains dairy products that can cause sensitivity in the gut and possible diarrhea. Most dogs are lactose intolerant, so milk and dairy products can cause negative effects on their health.
- The icing flavor you use could be toxic or fatal to your dog if ingested.
Also check out: “Can Dogs Drink Milk?”
If you do give your dog some ice cream and they start to show signs of poisoning, such as vomiting, diarrhea, muscle tremors, cardiac arrhythmias, and respiratory difficulties, we recommend seeking veterinary care at once.
NOTE: If you have concerns, please consult your veterinarian before feeding your dog any types of foods that are not part of his regular diet. Also, keep in mind that most commercial food products today contain a lot of toxic artificial substances that can really mess with a dog’s health.
Can dogs eat chocolate ice cream? No. They can’t. Chocolate is not generally considered a safe food for dogs and if eaten in large quantities it could lead to vomiting and diarrhea. Other ingredients in this ice cream such as milk, milk derivatives, and sugar are also equally dangerous for pets. It is recommended that you monitor your dog while they are eating any type of ice cream or chocolate product. Watch for any unusual behavior and immediately determine if the food has been consumed too fast or in too great of an amount which could pose a threat to your animal’s health.
You might also be interested in:
Can Dogs Eat Chocolate Chip Cookies?
Now that you know how chocolate ice cream can be toxic to dogs, explore more about other chocolate-related dog articles that you might be interested in.
Has your dog ever eaten chocolate ice cream? How did they react? Were they hospitalized soon after? We would love to hear from you. Please share with us by leaving a comment below!