Can Dogs Eat Chocolate Cake? How Eating Chocolate Cake Can Be Dangerous To Dogs

can dogs eat chocolate cake

If you’ve ever had the opportunity to learn whether or not dogs can eat chocolate cake, you know that it’s an extremely controversial issue. On one side, the argument is very easy to understand because many people don’t want anything getting in their dogs’ way when they are trying to gain weight, including chocolate cake. On the other side, others argue that there’s no problem as long as your dog doesn’t have a history of gastrointestinal disease or some form of gout.

In this article, we’re going to answer all your questions regarding the subject.

So, Can Dogs Eat Chocolate Cake?

The answer is NO. First, the chocolate cake contains caffeine and theobromine, both of which are toxic to dogs. Secondly, chocolate cake is rich in sugar and can cause obesity and diabetes in dogs. Last but not least, the frosting and cream cheese contain sugar as well as dairy—both of which could lead to vomiting or diarrhea.

Chocolate cake is a type of dessert that dogs cannot digest, but some dogs want to nibble on it anyways. If your pup is a somewhat small dog or has had their teeth cleaned regularly by a vet or groomer, they should be able to eat a small portion of the cake without any problems. But don’t bet on it. Chocolate is toxic to dogs and it’s better if you keep chocolate and all chocolate-based products out of your dog’s rich.

Also, check out: “Can Dogs Eat Chocolate?”

When is Chocolate Cake Dangerous for Dogs?

Chocolate cake is very dangerous for dogs if they ingest too much of it. Eating an entire pan of chocolate cake can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, seizures, dehydration, and even death. If you notice any signs of distress after your dog has eaten cake or other types of food with high levels of chocolate in it, call your veterinarian immediately. You can also contact Pet Poison Control Helpline in case of chocolate poisoning.

How Can You Tell If Your Pet Has Eaten Chocolate Cake?

Check your pet’s vomit and feces before cleaning your home. If you see a brown, red, or orange coloration in your pet’s excrement or vomit, they have eaten foods that contain chocolate.

Any changes in your pet’s behavior or appetite should also be taken as a warning sign. Dogs who have eaten chocolate cake may become more hyperactive than usual and display anxious behavior. If your dog is sick, it’s a good idea to call your veterinarian. Even if they’re not exhibiting any symptoms of illness, call them just to be safe.

The symptoms of chocolate poisoning in dogs are similar to the symptoms of poisoning in humans, and these include:

  1. Excessive drooling and vomiting
  2. Increased heart rate
  3. Lethargy or sleeping more than usual
  4. Difficulty breathing, wheezing, gagging, sneezing, snorting
  5. Seizures

What Should You Do If Your Pet Has Eaten Chocolate Cake?

If you see any of the symptoms listed above, call your vet or an emergency clinic. Your pet may need to be treated for chocolate poisoning with medications that induce vomiting if they haven’t already vomited on their own. They may also need intravenous fluids if they’re dehydrated. If you’re concerned about the cost of treatment, check with your veterinarian for deals on services at your veterinary clinic or ask them to work out a payment plan with you.

You might also be interested in “Can Dogs Eat Strawberry Cake?”

How Can You Prevent Your Dog From Eating Chocolate Cake?

There are some simple things that you can do to prevent your dog from eating chocolate cake, especially if you know that your dog is likely to eat any food lying around. The first thing that you should do is keep all foods out of reach of your pet. If they can’t get to it, they won’t eat it. You should also make sure that your dog is well-trained and obeys all commands before you feed them a chocolate cake or other types of human food. Dogs that are well-trained are easier to keep in line.

If you know that your dog likes chocolate cake, it’s a good idea to make sure that there are no treats lying around when you’re planning on leaving them alone at home if possible. Even small amounts of chocolate can lead to severe side effects when consumed by pets.

Conclusion

No. Dogs can’t eat chocolate cake. The main problem with chocolate cake is that it’s hard for your dog to digest. Chocolate can cause problems with the gastrointestinal tract if eaten in large amounts.  Unfortunately, dogs are unable to tell you whether or not they’ve had enough food until after they’ve eaten it, and this makes it difficult for you to make sure that they’ve only had a few pieces of cake and nothing more. If your dog eats a large amount of chocolate, call the emergency vet clinic near you instead of attempting to give them emergency care at home.

Now that you know how a chocolate cake can be harmful to your dog’s health, find out all about other chocolate-related dog articles that you might be interested in.

Have you ever given chocolate cake to your dog? What was their reaction? Did they have an upset stomach? We would love to hear from you. Please share with us by leaving a comment below!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.