5 Reasons Why Grape Leaves Are Highly Toxic To Dogs

Why Grape Leaves Are Highly Toxic To Dogs

One of the most common beliefs in modern pet ownership is that dogs should not eat grapes or any grape-related products. Why? Because grapes are toxic to dogs and can result in things like temporary loss of balance and vision, vomiting, diarrhea, kidney failure, and even death. However, there is no study yet that shows grape leaves are toxic the way actual grapes are. So does that mean dogs can eat grape leaves? No. Dogs shouldn’t eat grape leaves.

Why? Here are 5 reasons why grape leaves are highly toxic to dogs.

1. Grape Leaves Can Cause Gastrointestinal Issues Such As Vomiting And Diarrhea

Grape leaves, like actual grapes, can cause gastrointestinal issues such as vomiting and diarrhea. As we’ve mentioned above, there’s little to no danger in your dog eating a few grape leaves. However, if your dog eats a lot of them and he/she is particularly small and/or old, then the risk of getting gastrointestinal issues may be higher. You should know that a dog’s digestive system isn’t really designed to digest large amounts of leafy greens, much less grape leaves. This is why, dogs shouldn’t eat grape leaves.

If your dog does eat a lot of grape leaves and develops gastrointestinal issues, we recommend seeking the advice of your vet right away.

2. Insecticides And Pesticides Used On The Grape Leaves Can Cause Toxicity

Pesticides and insecticides are used to control harmful insects and pests, that may be feeding on the grape leaves. Now, this is something that’s definitely worth worrying about, because these pesticides and insecticides can also lead to toxicity in your dog if he/she eats substantial amounts of them. So you better thoroughly wash any bunch of leaves that you consider giving to your dog, just to make sure they haven’t been treated with any harmful pesticides or insecticides.

3. Eating Large Amounts of Grape Leaves Could Lead To Intestinal Blockage in Dogs

Large amounts of grape leaves, as we’ve mentioned above, can lead to gastrointestinal problems in dogs. And while small amounts of it shouldn’t be too harmful, there’s still a chance that your dog may end up eating a few too many and develop an intestinal blockage. Symptoms of intestinal blockage include abdominal pain, difficulty breathing, lethargy, and vomiting.

To avoid any such issues, we recommend you keep a close eye on how much your dog eats so you can stop him/her from eating too much. In case your dog eats a large amount of grape leaves and shows any of these symptoms after consuming large amounts of grape leaves, then you better take him/her to the nearest emergency vet clinic right away. It’ll be best if you can get there within an hour or so.

You might also be interested in “5 Reasons Why Dogs Shouldn’t Eat Grapefruit”

4. Large Amounts of Grape Leaves Might Induce Lethargy in Dogs

If your dog eats large amounts of grape leaves, he/she might experience lethargy. Lethargy in dogs is characterized by listlessness, inactivity, and lack of interest in normal activities. It can last anywhere from a few hours to several days or even weeks. We recommend you monitor the amount of grape leaves your dog eats so you can stop him/her from eating too much.

If, despite your best efforts, he/she still eats too much grape leaves and develops lethargy, then make sure to take him/her to the nearest vet for treatment right away. Lethargy is a dangerous condition and your dog needs medical attention if he/she exhibits any of the symptoms associated with this condition.

5. Grape Leaves Can Cause Dogs to Lose their Appetite

Last but not the least, another reason why dogs shouldn’t eat grape leaves is because grape leaves can cause dogs to lose their appetite. While this only occurs in some dogs, what causes this behavior in some dogs is not clear. Well, it’s likely that your dog’s age and size may be factors. If your dog starts to lose his/her appetite after eating grape leaves, you might notice his/her interest in normal activities like eating, running, and hopping diminishes.

As a result, you’ll know your dog’s eating behavior has changed. You should, of course, take the necessary steps to prevent him/her from eating too many grape leaves. If you notice your dog’s appetite is decreasing after eating large amounts of grape leaves, then you might want to take him/her to the vet for a checkup.

Conclusion

So there you have it, 5 reasons why dogs shouldn’t eat grape leaves. If your dog does eat grape leaves, then you don’t need to worry much about the potential side effects. However, just to be safe, we highly recommend that you keep an eye on how much your dog eats and wash any bunch of edible grape leaves thoroughly before feeding them to your pet. After all, it’s best if you can avoid anything that might pose a threat to your dog’s health.

Thank you for reading the article.

To explore more, check out our other articles on grapes for dogs.

Has your dog ever eaten grape leaves by mistake or under your supervision? If yes, then how did your dog react afterward? If you have any experience with dogs eating grape leaves, please share it in the comments section below.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.