Zucchini is one of the most popular vegetables around the world. It can be cooked in many different ways, but usually, all the dishes made up of zucchini are delicious. If you’re a zucchini lover, you must have probably shared this summer squash with your canine buddy since it has many health benefits to us as well as our dogs. This means that your pup can happily munch some zucchini pieces when provided in moderation. But, can they eat the peel too? Can dogs eat zucchini skin? Let’s find out!
Can Dogs Eat Zucchini Skin?
Yes, dogs can safely eat zucchini skin. As a summer squash, zucchini is harvested before it matures, unlike winter squash. At the time of harvesting, the skin is still tender and thin which means zucchini can be eaten along with its skin or without peeling. Here is why it is safe for dogs to eat zucchini with skin.
You might also be interested in “Can Dogs eat Zucchini?”
How Is Zucchini Skin Beneficial to Dogs?
The skin of zucchini contains high levels of vitamin C, and it is also rich in minerals like manganese, potassium, and dietary fiber. The composition of the zucchini skin includes flavonoids, alpha-carotene, phytosterols, and polyacetylene which all contribute towards the health benefits of eating this fruit.
Feeding your dog with unpeeled zucchini comes with multiple health benefits. The healthy fiber found in zucchini skin is nutritious when consumed. It eases your dog’s digestion process. As mentioned earlier, most of the vitamins and minerals are present in the skin, so, it is better to provide zucchini with skin to your dog.
The fiber diet also indirectly provides weight loss benefits. How? It keeps your dog’s tummy satisfied with less food, giving them a full feeling. Thus, it leads to less consumption of food.
How Should I Store Unpeeled Zucchinis?
With all these benefits, it is very important that you have your zucchini healthy and fresh. To keep your zucchini fresh for a longer period of time, it is advised to store it properly. Here’s how to store zucchini:
- Wrap each zucchini individually in foil or plastic wrap. Apart from keeping them fresh, this will also prevent them from sticking together while in the refrigerator.
- Store the zucchinis in a cool and dry place.
- The best way to store your zucchinis is by keeping them in a plastic box. Make sure that it has plenty of room to breathe and keep the lid slightly open to let the air pass through.
BBC states that zucchini does not need peeling; you and your furry friend can eat it with or without the skin. They also recommend that you choose zucchinis that stay firm to the touch. These green vegetables that are rather soft and delicate to the touch are the bad ones and are about to rot. Also, it is suggested that you pick zucchinis that do not have any blemishes on the skin.
Things to Consider Before Feeding Unpeeled Zucchini
There are some things that you need to consider before feeding unpeeled zucchini to your pooch which are:
- Some inorganic zucchini skin may contain pesticides and it may also be contaminated with bacteria. So, you should wash it well before providing it to your dog.
- You might also want to scrub your zucchini well with a clean scrub brush. This will help to remove bacterial and chemical contaminants.
- When buying zucchinis, always choose the ones that are firm to touch.
- Avoid delicate ones since they could be rotten inside.
So, Can Dogs Eat Zucchini Skin? Absolutely! Unpeeled Zucchinis are not only safe but also provide health benefits to your four-legged friend. Just make sure that you choose the right ones and rinse them properly before feeding them to your pooch.
Now that you know it’s safe for dogs to eat zucchini skin, explore more about dogs and zucchini in zucchini for dogs.
How do you give zucchini to your dog? Do you give them peeled or unpeeled? We would love to hear from you. Please share with our community by leaving a comment below!