Chocolate toxicity is probably quite common in dogs because most dogs love chocolates and many owners give them to their pets every year during the holiday season since it tastes good to them.
To answer the question ‘Can dogs die if they eat chocolate?’ Unfortunately yes, chocolate can kill dogs if they eat it. This article will discuss the symptoms of chocolate toxicity in dogs, how common it is, and possible treatment options.
About Chocolate Toxicity
There are two main symptoms of chocolate toxicity seen in dogs: vomiting or seizures. When a dog eats large amounts of candy or other sweets containing cocoa butter (like holiday chocolates), it usually becomes sick within 12 hours. Signs include vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and pale gums.
Seizures often happen when the dog has eaten too much chocolate with caffeine included in the product because caffeine speeds up the metabolism which leads to an increase in blood sugar – triggering a seizure that goes through several phases before finally subsiding. The person can also see the dog shake when it vomits, the dog is also more prone to seizures. Finally, the owner might see their pet fall asleep shortly after eating chocolate. If they did not consume much additional food immediately after eating chocolate, they may become lethargic and fall asleep soon after eating.
Also, check out: “Can Dogs Eat Chocolate?”
Most Likely Breeds to Suffer from Chocolate Toxicity
Chocolate toxicity is more commonly seen in small breeds, especially toy poodles and Yorkshire terriers than in large breeds like collies or mastiffs. This is because small puppies have a faster metabolism rate than large-breed dogs, so they are more likely to be affected by chocolate. Breeds that are more likely to eat chocolate are those that have a sweet tooth, such as the aforementioned Yorkie and toy poodle.
As mentioned earlier, the canines that eat chocolate can develop seizures and sometimes excessive vomiting. These signs begin within six hours of ingestion and the owner should rush their pet to the veterinarian immediately for emergency treatment.
How Can Chocolate Toxicity Be Treated?
Chocolate toxicity in dogs can be treated, but it is usually difficult because the dog might go into seizures or there might be other complications due to other toxins in the chocolate or even from an allergic reaction to cocoa or milk products in certain chocolates. The treatments usually involve intensive monitoring of the dog’s vital signs. The vet will also want to assess the pet for other problems like heart disease or any other illness that could be making it sick or cause seizures. Usually, the chocolate has to be removed from the dog’s system before treatment is safe to administer.
The owner should always check with their vet before giving their pet anything that has an unknown ingredient in it. As such, if you’re worried about your dog eating chocolate, you should check with a vet before giving it to them because chocolate can cause serious problems with a dog’s health. Some dogs have a genetic tendency to develop seizures when they eat lots of dry food and this can also trigger a seizure caused by consuming too much chocolate at one time.
It is always better to be safe than sorry so it is best to check with a vet before giving any foods, especially chocolate, to dogs. Chocolate can be fatal for pets if they consume too much of it. If you notice that your pet has eaten this sweet confectionary that could potentially cause harm, you should immediately contact their veterinarian or poison control center.
Thank you for reading the article.
Now that you know how chocolate can be toxic to dogs, explore more about other chocolate-related dog articles that you might be interested in.
Have your dog ever mistakenly taken a bite or two of chocolate? Did they get sick? How did you treat them right after? Our community would love to know. Please share with us by leaving a comment below!