Can Dogs Eat Grapes? Shocking Truth About Grape Toxicity in Dogs!

Can Dogs Eat Grapes. Shocking Truth About Grape Toxicity in Dogs

Dogs love eating people’s food including various fruits and vegetables. However, they have a different digestive system from humans, so not all human food is good for dogs. And there are some of such foods which can cause severe problems in dogs. A good owner should know when to say no to their pup, no matter how much they work those puppy dog eyes.

If you are curious about the question, “Can dogs eat grapes?”, the answer is no. Grapes and Raisins (dried grapes) are toxic to dogs, and many dog owners are unaware of it. It is still unknown as to what precisely about grapes and raisins is toxic to dogs. So, you should avoid feeding peeled or seedless grapes to your mutt too.

Can Dogs Eat Grapes? How Is Grape Toxic For Dogs?

Grape Toxicity In Dogs

Raw grapes are 81% water, 18% carbohydrates, 1% protein, and have negligible fat. What seems like a tasty snack to us is, in fact, a toxic food to dogs. It is unclear as to why grapes and raisins are toxic to dogs, though. Researchers suggest that pesticides or some fungus might be the root problem, but no single cause for grape toxicity has yet been determined.

However, the toxic effect of grapes and raisins varies from dog to dog. Some canines may show no effect initially, and others may become very ill after eating relatively few grapes. Even eating a single grape could cause your pup to experience vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy, and in the worst case, kidney failure and death. According to the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, 3,722 calls were reported involving grapes and raisins in 2016.

The ASPCA gives us the story of Leah, the dog who accidentally ate grapes and was diagnosed with renal failure the next day. Thankfully, due to her owner’s fast action, she survived. You can read her full story here.

Symptoms of Grape Ingestion / Side Effects of Eating Grapes in Dogs

The following symptoms can be seen if your dog ingests some grapes or raisins:

  • Loss of appetite
  • Lethargy, weakness, unusual stillness
  • Vomiting and/or diarrhea, often within a few hours
  • Abdominal pain (tender when touched)
  • Dehydration
  • Increased thirst and/or diminished amount of urine or complete cessation altogether
  • Kidney failure (which can be fatal)

You may also be interested in: Can Dogs Eat Apples?

Grape Contents

Are Grapes Good For Dogs?
According to the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), one cup of red or green grapes weighing around 151 grams (g) contains:
Protein1.09 grams
Fat0.24 grams
Carbohydrates27.33 grams
Potassium288 milligrams
Calcium15 milligrams
Iron0.54 milligrams
Magnesium11 grams
Phosphorous30 milligrams
Sodium3 milligrams

Grapes are also high in water content. A cup of grapes contains over 121 g of water.

Can Eating Grapes Kill Dogs?

How Are Grapes Bad For Dogs?

Sadly, the answer is yes. If you don’t give your dog immediate veterinary care they might suffer from various health problems. In the worst case, your dog might even die. Even a single grape can be devastating. Sudden kidney failure is the most extreme consequence of eating grapes and it can kill in a matter of days. And even if death isn’t imminent, your pup might experience various other health problems that can cause them a lot of pain.

How Many Grapes Are Too Much for Dogs?

The effects of grape ingestion vary from dog to dog. Some dogs react quickly and others slowly. The effects depend on your pup’s size, age, health, and the number of grapes they’ve eaten. Admittedly, eating one grape won’t harm an English Mastiff as much as it will hurt a tiny Chihuahua. So, can one grape be fatal to dogs? Yes! But it all depends on the dog’s size, age, and health. Always keep grapes and raisins away from your pup to avoid any health issues. Generally, the dangerous doses begin at:

  • 1 or 2 grapes for a 10-pound dog
  • 3 or 4 grapes for a 20-pound or heavier dog

Are Dogs the Only Pets at Risk?

So far, grape and raisin poisoning has only been identified as a problem in dogs. That said, there have been anecdotal reports of cats and ferrets being potentially affected. Since there are still many unknowns associated with this poisoning, it’s a bad idea to give any grapes and raisins to your dog or any other pet.

My Dog Swallowed Some Grapes! What Should I Do?

So, your dog swallowed some grapes or raisins! You need to rush your dog to the vet immediately! What happens next is mostly based on how quickly you seek veterinary care. Once you get to a vet, the procedure usually includes vomiting the fruit out of your dog’s system. There is no specific antidote, so all that doctors can do is support your dog’s kidney.

Hopefully, it never comes to that. The best preventive measure is to keep grapes and raisins far away from your dog’s reach. After all, an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure.

In summary, for the question, “Can dogs eat grapes?”, the answer is a big resounding NO! Dogs absolutely shouldn’t be fed grapes and raisins. Just a few numbers of grapes are enough to cause various health problems in your dog. Keep grapes and raisins away from your dog, and if they ever eat some, seek medical help, as soon as possible. You can’t feed grapes to your dog, but there are various other fruits to choose from. Check out what fruits you can feed your dog and what food you shouldn’t on our website.


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.